Update: The Agora team just posted an update indicating that they are on the right direction with solving the ddos issues (original thread can be found here: http://i4rx33ibdndtqayh.onion.market/index.php/topic,4290.0/topicseen.html):
The original post:
Yes, we know that Agora is down, everyone knows that agora is is down – its been up and down with this recent attack for the past 2 weeks, so i cant believe there is someone who did not notice that yet. im writing this as a response to the 20 – 30 mails we are getting every day requesting us to report the fact that agora is down due to attack / cyber war / ddos or what ever other reason, since you probably tried to access the market and got this message, this is not news to you:
Also im sure you all saw the official response from the Agora admins by now:
UPDATE 03/10/14 0012 UTC
We are still working to mitigate the DoS attack. While the situation has improved some we can not yet say it is resolved. Our staff is working hard to further improve accessibility.
All funds are accounted for and we are monitoring the situation closely.
The allegations of a “hack” are not based on anything, we are monitoring everything and no info has been leaked as far as we can see.
It seems their idea of a “hack” is a DDoS attack on the server (which does indeed go on right now, and as all DoS attacks, can result in denial of service) and a brute-force attack on the login system to try to find out users’ passwords.
As a precaution, if you use a weak password, or the same password as on some other service that has been hacked, you should change that immediately.
As a countermeasure for this attack we have now implemented a captcha-check on the login form. Sorry for this inconvenience, but it seems to be better than letting the attackers brute-force passwords easily.
You probably saw the claims from a “hacker” who got hold of some vendor accounts, this is of course just FUD – some accounts were hacked because they were using VERY weak passwords, that’s all (im not going to quote this thread here)
We can only agree that this is without a doubt. a big problem and another disappointment to the Darknet community, one we can only hope that will not end with financial loss for many people, it is advise to try and access the market every one and than in order to withdraw any funds you might have left on the marketplace.
In the meantime, here are some things you can do to the pass the time while your favorite market is down:
(its agora in this case, but it can work in most cases as well)
* Needless to say that we mean no offense by this – its all in humor.
- You can check out our list of Hidden marketplaces! – You probably know that there are like another 30 marketplaces waiting to be tested, proceed with caution.
- You can check out – The hub forums at this url: http://thehub7dnl5nmcz5.onion.market , a place where you can discuss the different marketplaces in a non biased environment.
- You can do the same as the above at Reddit’s Darknetmarkets: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkNetMarkets
- You can chat on Agora forums here: http://i4rx33ibdndtqayh.onion.market/ , get some updates, contact details of your vendors or join the endless discussion with those who claim to be responsible for these attacks.
- Find creative ways to solve the SR2 Captcha bug – having hard time to get past the login screen? tried to refresh? open the captcha in new windows or view image source? you can think of new ways – like click registration and than back, click ctrl+f5. this is a guaranteed time killer.
- You can offer new entries to our Darknet dictionary, and help people find what they are looking for before they start posting about it on reddit.
- You can Answer this Agora future poll we created:
To sum up, we hope that the marketplace will be back soon, with everyone’s money safe in it, until than, we will keep following and updating only if something really interesting will happen.